"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin



Friday, November 23, 2012

WTF?

"Open Book" by Beach Bum Chix
 
I am an ardent, voracious reader - always have been, always will be. I absolutely, unabashedly LOVE the printed word. And Ebooks? Oh lordy me my!!! When I discovered Ebooks, way back in the day, I knew that I had hit the mother lode. The ability to download literally thousands of books, of any and all genres, was and continues to be a personal wet dream come true. Ebooks gave birth to the latest era of my favorite genre - Erotica. Epublishing allows authors to bypass the stringent Harlequin rules and pompous 'big box' publishing companies and bring women's naughty kinky fantasies to the masses - hallelujah! Ebooks and Epublishing were the inspiration and vehicles that got me to this point - yeah, yay! But lately I've been noticing a disturbing trend...
 
Earlier today, I purchased an Ebook for $7 - a fair price. But when I downloaded and opened it I saw that it was only 55 pages long - what the fuck?! I realize that not all writers have 300+ worth of pages in them, but 55 pages for $7? Oh hell no. I find, more and more, Epublishing companies are pulling this crap - selling 75 pages for 150+ pages prices. 55 pages to develop a full, nuanced, page turning novel, that has you salivating for more? - not possible. I don't like it. I think that it's cheating the reader - I certainly feel cheated! The only way to deal with this is to: pay attention to the word count in the book's description before I buy and hope that if enough of us loyal readers refuse to buy such books, authors and the companies who publish them will get the message.
 
Okay, rant finished. I feel so much better ;-}
 
'Til we meet again,
 
Temple

No comments:

Post a Comment