"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin



Friday, November 2, 2012

Lesson Learned

"I was seldom able to see an opportunity until it ceased to be one."
- Mark Twain

Last night, I settled at my laptop for a night of writing. When I inserted my flash drive into the USB port...nothing happened. It didn't take me long to discover that it somehow was broken. And my entire manuscript, notes and research are on it. As well as every ebook I've purchased over the past decade - ARGHHHHH!

I was in the dark deep pit of despair when I decided to Google my problem and see if I could find a solution - to the internets! I found this place in Seattle. You send them your broken flash drive, along with a new one, they retrieve the info/files, transfer them to the new flash drive and then send them both back to you. They promise a 3-7 day turn around (from date of reciept) and a 100% refund if they can't retrieve your data. The cost: $200 (not including the price of a new flash drive and postage = @ $50) a small price to pay to retrieve my precious files and ebooks.

I didn't back up my files. I meant to but then life kept...happening. And, to be brutally honest, my wip had been relegated to I'll-get-to-it-when-I-can-land for so long it was easy to put it off. And when I got my shit together and got serious about writing, I was so excited, got so into working on my wip - yeah you guessed it, I still didn't back up my work. Shame on me. And by the time I realized I needed to act on the opportunity, it ceased to be one. That will NOT happen again. I've already taken the steps so that, when I have my precious files back this will never happen again. 
Lesson Learned.

*I have purposely not named the disk retrieval service. Not until I can give them an honest thumbs up or down - I'll update this post when my thumbs are ready ;-}

Update: My thumbs are ready: I'm happy to report that the disk retrieval service: Flash Drive Pros  is amazing! Worth every dime. For the story and info see: Like a Ninja.

'Til we meet again,

Temple

No comments:

Post a Comment