"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin



Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Breakthrough?

E - the inspiration for my newest heroine.

"There are three rules for writing a novel.
Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
- W. Somerset Maugham

I've been diligently plugging away on my keyboard - working on the seemingly never ending journey of finishing my first wip. But of late my plugging has sputtered down to a spotty ineffectual tap-tap-tap. Nearly two weeks ago I admitted the biter reality - I've hit a mental, creative wall. And that wall is solid, massive and a stone cold fucker! Trying to force my muse made my distressing situation even worse, even more frustrating. Arghhhhh!

Though I tried, as best as I could to best that wall, I couldn't go over, under, around or through it. After another long fruitless brain racking night, I gave up (again) and crawled under the covers. Several hours later, my dreams woke me. But I wasn't dreaming about my wip. No, there was a whole other crop people (characters) crowding my mind. A series I think. Time, place, people, sights, sounds, smells - all in technicolor surround sound. They woke me up, encouraged me to pull out my notebook and pen and write, and write and write. And somehow in the process I found my latest heroine.

I didn't know it at the time, but I had made a breakthrough. I'm not a one-trick-pony. And I can't say strongly enough how relieved I am to discover that there's plenty of imagination and creative mojo hiding in the depths of my little grey cells. I think that I've also found a way, in part at least, to deal with that stone cold mental-wall fucker - diversify ;-}

Now all that's left for me to do is finish The Good Professor - sigh...

'Til we meet again,

Temple

No comments:

Post a Comment