"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin



Friday, October 19, 2012

Sophisticated Lady


"The Singer" Greg Harner

"Then, with disillusion deep in your eyes.
You learned that fools in love soon grow wise."
Sophisticated Lady, Sir Duke Ellington (1932)

It happened quite by accident. I was in the thick of writing the first sex scene between my heroine (Bronwyn Blackburn) and my hero (Ridge Copeland). At one point in the scene, Bron hears the muffled strains of music coming from the quartet in the outer room. There's only one music genre that could perfectly encapsulate this moment, this story - Jazz: languid, passionate, melancholy but hopeful, plaintive but joyful  At this point, I knew that I wanted to name the song. And I knew that the song had to reflect/encompass the innermost conflict of my heroine (one of the two primary movers of the plot) and hint to the hea (happily ever after) of the story - Sophisticated Lady.


And who sings Sophisticated Lady
better than Ella Fitzgerald?
No one...

'Til we meet again,

Temple

No comments:

Post a Comment