"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin



Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Research Alpha

"He was Special Forces after all. He had been trained by the best to quickly assess an unexpected situation and adapt his ops plan to handle it.
He'd fuck her up against the bar."
- The Good Professor, Temple Bryon

You'd think that writing Erotic Romance(s) is all about hott sex. And you'd be right ;-} And while this challenge is a happy, gleeful, and joyous one, there's quite a bit more to it. In developing a wip, my first task is to create a world in which hott sex gloriously exists. Of course that world is built around my heroine and hero.

I'm a Pantster. For me that means I write the story as it pops into my naughty mind, and I research while I write. Although I'm a seat-of-the-pants writer, I did begin with a firm vision of who my hero and heroine are - more about my heroine later. In a word, my hero is an Alpha (yummy!) In The Good Professor, my hero - Ridge Copeland is a retired Marine (Special Forces). In his 'new' life, he's the founder and head of a securities company (i.e. uber hott bodyguards). And while my imagination is fertile when it comes to my ideal Alpha male (physical and emotional characteristics), I only had vague ideas about the military/military culture. And just to keep this interesting, I'm not only writing about one Alpha, but a team of Alphas and a few secondary Alpha characters as well (all some sort of military) - yeah, I don't do much easy. So I've been spending a great deal of my Panster time on 'Research Alpha: different types, lingo, guns, hand-to-hand combat, counter surveillance, defensive driving, etc. Let me tell you, it's a fascinating complex world and I can't wait to see where this particular leg of my journey will take me.

'Til we meet again,

Temple

No comments:

Post a Comment